Ocean Storms

Last weekend, we headed to Ocean City, NJ for a day at the beach.  We left before 6, and got home after midnight, making for a long, but amazingly relaxing day.

When we got there, it looked like a great day for the beach.  We set up chairs and were relaxing on the beach before 10 a.m.

I settled in with my nook, opening a romantic suspense that B&N had recommended just days earlier.  I will admit, I was a bit freaked out to find that the book was set at the Jersey Shore, and the murder victim’s name was Susie.  I was glad I had a lot of books on my To Be Read “pile”, and moved on to the next, just for the time being. (What can I say, I am a chicken.) ;-)

Within two hours, the beautiful day on the beach began to turn.  Luckily, the friends we were visiting had an ocean front house, so we were able to watch the shore as the storms rolled in.  I have to say, the pictures don’t even begin to capture how cool the clouds looked in person!

It felt like we were sitting in the cloud after a while.

It rained all afternoon, so we never did get a chance to go into the water… that will just have to wait until next year.  Luckily, the storms were mostly rain, so there was no damage and we were able to sit outside on the (covered) patio through them.  :-)

There was no water in this when the storm started…

We did take a nice walk on the beach before we headed home.  It may not have been exactly what we had planned, but it was still a great day!

Have you taken any trips this summer? Have you been caught in any crazy storms? Do you have any exciting plans for the last few weeks of summer?

One more.  I Just couldn’t resist….

Complete with my footprint messing up the first “s”. :-)

About these ads

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 thoughts on “Ocean Storms

1. Natalie Hartford August 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm Reply

Amazing. Summer storms rolling in from the sea can be so spectacular. Sounds like a blissful day. Hubby and I love to take a number of day-trips to beaches nearby to just max and relax the day away…there’s something so soothing about hot sand on your toes, the water lapping nearby, and the sun on your face…and a good book..ahhhhh!!!

• S. M. Nonnemacher August 17, 2012 at 2:32 pm Reply

Thanks so much for stopping by, Natalie! :-) I agree… there is nothing like a day at the beach!! :-)

• Janice Heck August 25, 2012 at 4:14 pm Reply

I love the beach…especially Ocean City, NJ. Sad that we haven’t been able to do the beach scene this year. Usually my grandchildren come for a few weeks, and we have a blast down there. This year, we have only made a few evening trips to the boardwalk. Those are nice, too, but I miss the early morning mists, the surf and the sand, and even the sea gulls. Gotta get those grandchildren to come back again.

• S. M. Nonnemacher August 27, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I grew up going to Ocean City, MD, so I had never been to OC, NJ before. It was a pretty little town! I would definitely go back again! :-) Thanks so much for stopping by!

2. Barbara Forte Abate August 17, 2012 at 9:06 pm Reply

I haven’t been on a beach vacation for a few years now. However, before my current state of beach-drought, my husbands extended family rented an oceanfront beach house in Sandbridge VA for a week every year. We went to the same house for a little over 20 years and it was an amazing time. Nothing compares with a lightening storm over the ocean–it’s a show like no other.

Lovely post, though it does make me miss those long past summers.

• S. M. Nonnemacher August 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm Reply

I went for a couple days last summer, and just one day this year. I love the beach, so, while I am thankful for the trips, I do wish they could be longer and/or more frequent! ;-)
      We went with my grandparents, parents, brother, aunt, uncle, and cousins every year growing up, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything… just
      my family and me, awesome views, and amazing memories!!
      Thanks so much for stopping by! :-)

3. Suzanne Stengl (@suzannestengl) August 17, 2012 at 9:11 pm Reply

As long as I don’t have little kids with me, I think that sitting on a covered patio and watching the storm is even better than a sunshiny day. Something so soothing about rain and ocean sounds. But as I said, doesn’t work so well with little kids to entertain :o)

• S. M. Nonnemacher August 17, 2012 at 9:35 pm Reply

I must say, I am a big fan of the sun. I am still a kid at heart, so I was disappointed that I didn’t get to play in the ocean. ;-) Still, the storms were really cool, and it was an amazing, relaxing day!

Thanks so much for your comment! :-)

4. Tami Clayton August 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm Reply

A day at the beach sounds wonderful, even with a big storm rolling in. Where I live in the Pacific NW, a day at the coast (as we call it) is usually a chilly endeavor in which I have to wear a fleece jacket. A warm beach is much more my thing. :)

• S. M. Nonnemacher August 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm Reply

Nothing beats a warm beach, although I do love visiting any time. I think the prettiest trip to the beach i have ever made was just after a snow storm–it was really neat to see the snow, then sand, then water. :-) Thanks for commenting!

5. J. L. Mbewe August 24, 2012 at 10:54 pm Reply

I love storms and I love the ocean. I think it would be cool to combine them. Crazy storm experience… Junior High, I think, my friend and I were camping way out on her property. We picked the perfect spot. Nice little cliff area, overlooking a creek. We even had to carry all of our stuff over the log “bridge” to reach the area. We had pop, junk food galore. And then we saw lightening on the horizon, then thunder. We kept saying, well, if it does it again, we’ll leave. Finally, as darkness descended on us, we decided to leave. So we walked with as much stuff as we could carry back through the trees, fields and pastures. When we finally reached her place, we didn’t want to “camp” inside. So we ended up “camping” in the hayshed, which was open on three sides. Boy did we ever get the first seat to that storm. Brilliant lightening, heavy rain. Even hail. Couldn’t hear ourselves over the noise. Probably wasn’t the safest decision, but it was awesome!

By the way, we went to TN this summer and that was awesome. And there was some severe weather too. We would have been right smack in the middle of it, stranded in the mountains, if we hadn’t all caught some kind bug.

• S. M. Nonnemacher August 27, 2012 at 4:35 pm Reply

That camping storm sounds terrifying!! I do like a good storm, but only if I know I have good, sturdy cover should i need it! :-) We tend to get a lot of storms here in the summer and early fall, but nothing beats a good beach storm!! Thanks so much for visiting! :-)

6. livrancourt August 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm Reply

We went to a wedding up on San Juan Island last weekend, and the reception was on Roche Harbor. It was more marina than beech, but there was ocean and mountains and at 8pm they played taps and all the yachts blew their horns. It was pretty cool.
    Your photos are just amazing. Thanks so much for posting.

• S. M. Nonnemacher August 27, 2012 at 4:38 pm Reply

Thanks, Liv! That sounds awesome! There was a place on the bay in Ocean City, MD that would play the 1812 overture every night at sunset. I was always amazed at how perfectly they timed it! Beach, bay, lake, or marina, dusk and dawn are always amazing! :-)

Thought? Ideas? Questions? Funny Story? Please Share! :-)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 444 other followers